Applications of Propositional Logic
Two applications of propositional logic are mentioned here:
- Translating English Sentences
- Boolean Search
Translating of English Sentences
- Propositional Logic helps to remove any ambiguity in English sentences
- English sentences are translated into compound propositions using propositional variables and logical connectives
- These compound propositions are analyzed to determine their truth value
For more details, please contact me here.
- "You can access the Internet from campus only if you are a computer science major or you are not a freshman."
- a = "You can access the Internet from campus,"
- c = "You are a computer science major,"
- f = "You are a freshman,"
- The above English sentence can be translated in propositional logic as
- a → (c ∨ ¬f)
- Most search engines (e.g. google) uses propositional logic to find web pages on some subject
- These searches are called Boolean Searches as logical connectives (AND, OR, NOT) are used to match keywords in web pages
- You type keywords - British Universities - in google search bar to search for universities in Britain.
- Google uses Britain AND Universities to look for pages containing the both keywords Britain and Universities.
Date of last modification: February 7, 2019